Email: (1) your resume and (2) cover letter (not to exceed two pages) to [email protected] with (3) a subject line of “Last Name CEO Application 2023” (e.g., Smith CEO Application 2023”)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected. Preference will be given to candidates who apply within the first fourteen (14) days.
At a Glance
Position Title: President & CEO
Reports to: Board Chair, Commonwealth Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development
Annual Starting Salary: $190-220,000 (depending on experience), plus high-value benefit package (including 13.2% employer contribution retirement plan, 100% vesting begins day 1)
Publish Date: April 28th, 2023
Commonwealth Corporation (CommCorp) is a quasi-public workforce development agency that fosters workforce equity in Massachusetts by delivering innovative and collaborative professional development solutions to help diverse communities and employers succeed.
Our Primary Goals Are:
To build regional industry training partnerships that prepare youth and unemployed and underemployed individuals for in-demand jobs, leading to higher rates of employment.
- To upgrade the skills of workers to meet industry or employer-specific employer demands to support more productive and competitive businesses, job growth, retention, and wage gains.
- To increase the share of youth engaged in education and employment pathways preparing them for post-secondary education and careers.
- To utilize data and research to demonstrate the impact of programming funded through CommCorp and its partners.
Commonwealth Corporation serves hundreds of Massachusetts companies, thousands of new and experienced workers, and thousands of youths, young adults, and adult learners each year. As a quasi-public agency, Commonwealth Corporation administers several state funded workforce development programs for youth and adults and is governed by a Board of Directors, Chaired by the Secretary of the Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development.
Commonwealth Corporation seeks a new President and Chief Executive Officer to lead the organization and support jobseekers across Massachusetts. Working with an interdisciplinary team, the President & CEO has primary responsibility for the organization’s consistent achievement of strategic, fiscal, and programmatic goals. Working through an equity lens, the President & CEO will be responsible for managing all programs and divisions across the organization, including programming, data analytics, operations (financial and legal), marketing, community outreach, and maintaining organizational accountability, to deliver results. The President & CEO will develop deep knowledge of key programs in the organization’s portfolio to best support the Directors managing each program.
Commonwealth Corporation has experienced significant growth in the past two years, and the President & CEO is expected to lead the agency through continued growth, sustainability, and emerging issues that may impact the future direction of the organization. As the senior executive leader of Commonwealth Corporation, the President & CEO will foster a positive work environment, empowering employees as they work towards fulfilling the organization’s mission.
The President & CEO reports to the Commonwealth’s Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development, who chairs Commonwealth Corporation’s Board of Directors. The President & CEO works under the general direction of the Board, and also works closely with the Commonwealth’s Executive Office of Labor & Workforce Development to develop programming goals and strategic objectives. The position maintains latitude for independent action.
Actively manages and administers, directly or through organizational staff, all the affairs and activities of CommCorp.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Serve as the face of the organization when communicating with stakeholders, including government entities, partners, general public, and others. Serve as the organization’s primary spokesperson in support of and in collaboration with the Administration.
- Ensure that grants are properly administered and develop or update organizational policies and procedures in accordance with recognized best practices.
- Ensure the delivery of meaningful programming measured by outcomes and impactful results.
- Develop and execute deliverables and programs that are consistent with the organization’s strategic plan, balancing current priorities and long-range goals of the Board, staff, and partners.
- Provide thought leadership and participation in collaboration with the Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development for the administration’s Workforce Skills Cabinet.
- Manage overall operations, including oversight of key programming and training initiatives.
- Provide strong and effective leadership to all employees, in alignment with and support of the organization’s core values, creating an environment that attracts and retains diverse talent.
- Build trust across teams within CommCorp with a special focus on organizational culture and team building.
- Lead and uphold CommCorp’s mission and vision, both internally and externally.
- Collaborate with EOLWD, the Board of Directors, and internal staff to assess and minimize risks to the organization.
- Oversee the Commonwealth Corporation Foundation, a related 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that supports the mission of Commonwealth Corporation.
- Must be able to regularly commute to the Boston office
- 10+ years’ experience in a senior leadership position with staff supervision/oversight required
- Executive leadership experience in building an integrated view of programming, staff productivity, and finances to oversee organizational health and track organizational success with stakeholders, the Board, funders
- Leadership in transforming organizations
- Executive leadership experience in developing and managing organizational budgets, reviewing financing, performance, and financial reporting (KPIs)
- Proven track record in delivering program results
- Strong organizational ability and analytic skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, ability to work well alone, and proven skills in project managing teams to meet deliverables, solve problems, maintain positive and productive
- Detail-oriented; excellent time management skills, ability to multi-task
- Experience working in government
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- A combination of for-profit and nonprofit leadership experience
- Experience or knowledge of workforce development is appreciated
Commonwealth Corporation Offers Generous and Very Competitive Benefits Packaging, Including:
- Hybrid Workplace
- Health insurance (83% employer / 17% employee)
- HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) (Employer pays first 75% of participant deductible expenses)
- Dental insurance (80% employer / 20% employee)
- Vision Insurance
- 12 paid holidays
- 3 weeks accrued paid vacation per year
- Generous paid sick time
- Short-Term, Long-Term and AD&D Insurance
- Life Insurance up to $250,000
- Employer funded pension plan
- Voluntary employee retirement plan options
- Pre-tax parking and commuter benefits
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Assistance Program
- Commonwealth Corporation does not contribute to Social Security; however, in lieu of such contribution, Commonwealth Corporation will contribute on a biweekly basis the equivalent of 13.2% of your salary to a 401(a)-employee retirement plan. This plan is administered by Nationwide, where you are vested 100% on day 1 of hire (No waiting period).
Commonwealth Corporation Is An Equal Opportunity Employer:
Commonwealth Corporation is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Research suggests that qualified women and Black & Indigenous POC may self-select out of opportunities if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive at CommCorp to apply for this role.
Please note: the recommended candidate must successfully complete pre-employment screening. If you require assistance with the application/interview process and would like to request an accommodation, please email Ashidah Baker at [email protected]
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at CommCorp
As a leader in workforce development, Commonwealth Corporation is committed to having Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion embedded into the programs and services we offer, reflected in the people we impact and our workplace culture.
We Strive To:
Identify and dismantle historical and existing barriers within systems, policies, and practices to create long-term economic opportunity and access for all.
Increase our impact and productivity by fostering a workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives and experiences.Learn from the mistakes we are aware of, and to foster an environment that encourages our partners, stakeholders, and employees to hold us accountable.